Your smile is one of the most attractive features of your face, and any dental problem can affect its appearance. Not only do these problems affect your smile, but they harm your health as well. The issues such as chipped, cracked, or broken teeth may make it difficult for you to chew your food or even talk properly. When you visit our clinic to find a suitable treatment, we recommend dental crowns.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a cap-like structure made using several materials, the role of which is to cover your teeth and restore their appearance and functionality. Crowns help to retain the shape and size of your teeth, increase their strength, and enhance their overall performance. We perform this procedure by cementing a crown in place and providing protection to your broken teeth.
What are the Uses of A Dental Crown?
- A dental crown is used for large cavities that cannot be filled.
- Dental crowns are used to restore missing teeth during the procedure of a dental bridge.
- Dental crowns provide full coverage for dental implants and are also used after a root canal.
- We also suggest the use of dental crowns in pediatric dentistry.
How is the Procedure Performed?
- We will numb the site of the procedure using local anesthesia. If your teeth are fractured or have undergone a root canal treatment, we will restore them using a dental filling and then prepare them for the crown.
- We will buff your teeth a little bit to make room for the crown, after which we will create an impression with a digital scanner.
- We will also find out the shade of your teeth so that the crowns are made exactly matching the color of your natural teeth.
- As your impressions are sent to the laboratory for the preparation of the crown, we will make a temporary crown using acrylic or resin and put it on your teeth.
- When the permanent crown is ready, we will cement it on your teeth. The permanent crown is made with dental-grade ceramic. If required, we will perform the necessary adjustments.
How to Care for Crowns?
Your dental crowns require the same care as the rest of your teeth. It is essential to follow a good oral care routine to maintain your dental hygiene. Brush and floss your teeth twice a day, and also use a mouthwash to rinse your mouth. Visit us regularly for a dental checkup.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Pleasanton, CA, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Dogra. Please call us at (925) 600-9006 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.